Golden pears have a golden yellow skin. They are smooth and dotted with small lenticels. They are crispy with a small central seed cavity. They taste slightly acidic and sweet.
• High in folate
• Low calorie
• Vitamin C
• Vitamin K
• Good source of minerals (copper, iron, potassium, manganese and magnesium)
Excessive consumption of certain fruits, that are high in sugar, can be concerning for those watching calories.
Pears are one of the lowest-calorie fruits available, a medium pear that contains just over 100 calories which is about 5 to 10 percent of most healthy calorie-restricted diets. Not only are they low in calories, the nutritional content is immense as the fibre properties also make you feel fuller for longer. People who are looking at weight loss programs tend to include pears in their diets due to their exceptional benefits.
Antioxidants are often praised for their anti-carcinogenic activities; pears are a powerhouse of antioxidants and anti-cancer nutrition, especially if you eat the skins.
Recent studies have shown that the skin of pears contains three to four times as many phenolic plant nutrients as the flesh. Pears are also an excellent source of dietary fibre – both soluble and insoluble.
Vitamin C is an essential part of producing new tissues in numerous organs and cellular structures of the body. Wound healing is accelerated due to the high levels of ascorbic acid in pears
How to enjoy Pears:
Try these deliciously simple ways to enjoy them.
• poaching, preserving, chutneys, salsa, dips
• sweet salads, sweet soups, substitute apples with pears for a low-fat yummy cobbler
• snacking: fresh, with or without the skin, and either straight from the fruit bowl or chilled from the fridge
• grilled with cheese for a tasty sandwich or add a dash of cinnamon for pear toast
• add to your oatmeal for an alternate breakfast dish or top any cereal with pear chunks
• add other Go Fruits’ fruit for a super delightful healthy fruit salad
• add to desserts, salads, coleslaw, chicken, fish and meat dishes, stir fries, casseroles, frittatas
• smoothies, juice, punch
• pancakes, waffles, muffins, pear and apple sauce