Oranges have a tough shiny orange skin with flesh that is divided into segments.
A rich and sweet, orange taste with a hint of fresh raspberry.
• 16% daily fibre needs
• More than a day’s worth of Vitamin C
Promotes Heart Health
Oranges are rich in fibre and a good source of potassium, both of which can support heart health and provide 16% of your daily requirements with just one medium-sized orange.
In addition to keeping your bowels regular, dietary fibre brings multiple benefits:
• help maintain a healthy weight
• lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and certain types of cancer
• they also contain phytonutrients that may aid in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease
Offers Antioxidant Properties
The vitamin C in oranges is a powerful antioxidant and important in the production of the proteins necessary for maintaining skin health and keeping the skin youthful looking.
Vitamin C contributes to collagen production. Collagen supports the skin and protects the cells from damage, promotes wound healing, improves skin strength and cell repair.
Aids in Maintaining Good Blood Pressure
Oranges contain no sodium and are an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium. Maintaining a low sodium intake is essential to lowering blood pressure. However, increasing potassium is just as important for reducing a person’s risk of high blood pressure as it can support the relaxation and opening of blood vessels, resulting in lowering the risk of having a stroke.
Lowers the Risk of Cataracts
Oranges contain thiamine, one of the Vitamin B groups, of about 8% of the daily value for adult women and 6% for adult men. Some studies suggest that people with the highest intake of thiamine are at a reduced risk of developing cataracts.
Helps in Preventing Birth Defects
Folate is another B vitamin found in oranges. Known as folic acid in its synthetic form, folate is important in foetal development. Adequate intake can prevent neural tube defects, so women who are pregnant or trying to conceive need to include lots of folate in their diet.
How you can enjoy oranges:
Oranges are the fruit that can be added to so many amazing recipes, try the below and enjoy the flavours:
• fresh, straight from the fruit bowl or chilled from the fridge
• chilled fresh juice or orange lemonade
• added to your salad or accompanied by other gofruits in a healthy fruit salad
• as a topping for fish or chicken
• in cakes, tarts, marmalade, fruit kebabs, Asian cooking, yogurt
• with your breakfast cereal